Valorisation Manager IOF Consortium IDLab
The Internet & Data Lab (IDLab) is an imec research group at the University of Antwerp and Ghent University. IDLab focuses its research on internet technologies and data science. Bringing together 300 internet experts, we develop technologies outperforming current solutions for communication subsystems, high speed and low power networking, distributed computing and multimedia processing, machine learning, artificial intelligence and web semantics. Within Antwerp, the overall IDLab research areas are machine learning and wireless networking. IDLab has a unique research infrastructure used in numerous national and international collaborations.
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
IDLab collaborates with many universities and research centres worldwide and jointly develops advanced technologies with industry (R&D centers from international companies, Flanders’ top innovating large companies and SME’s, as well as numerous ambitious startups).
To strengthen the team in Antwerp, we are looking for a valorisation manager, who can bring IDLab’s research to its partners through win-win collaborations.
The IDLab consortium is aimed at upcoming IoT technologies, Human-like AI, Machine learning at the Edge and Deterministic Networks, with a specific focus on industry 4.0, logistics and mobility. As a valorisation manager, you will build partnerships with the R&D departments and managers of both national and international partners. You act in the valorisation team with other valorisation managers, each with their own area of expertise. This entitles the following aspect:
- You consolidate and expand the research consortium from a valorisation management perspective with the aim of:
- Stimulating cooperation with industry
- Building up a knowledge and IP portfolio of potential interest to industry.
- Exploring new opportunities for collaboration and valorisation
- You build trusted relationships with the Flemish and international eco-system and maintaining them;
- You capture the overall industrial needs and are able to link them to the overall IDLab research strategy and activities;
- You follow up on collaboration opportunities and bring them to a success: you set up both national and international strategic collaborations with industry and international research centres;
- In consensus with the scientific leads, you are responsible for initiating new initiatives, which have potential for new promising industry collaborations;
- You are the responsible person for your valorisation project within the valorisation team of the UAntwerpen and interact with the valorisation team, contract legal, IP divisions and other experts of both the university and Imec;
- You will stimulate from within the IOF consortium (interdisciplinary) collaboration with other faculties/departments/research groups of the university, as well as with the university colleges belonging to the association (AUHA), and create national and international collaborative networks;
- You are responsible for awareness creation, opportunity recognition and portfolio management related to patents and spin-offs;
- You build out the growth of the strategy, roadmap and collaboration of the consortium. You become the point of contact for the IDLab consortium for internal and external stakeholders.
In summary, your efforts will be focused on industrial valorisation of innovative research results and technologies obtained within the consortium aiming to contribute to the IOF-parameters of the association (AUHA): doctorates (P1), A1-publications and citations (P2), industrial collaborations (P3), EU funding (P4), patents (P5) and spin-offs (P6). The focus for the valorisation manager is situated on P3, P4, P5 and P6.
- You have a master diploma in a relevant domain and at least 5 years of relevant expertise in research or organization of research related to 1 or more of its research domains. A PhD in a relevant research domain is not required but is regarded as an asset;
- You possess excellent management, administrative and communication skills and experience with contract negotiation en management;
- You have proven experience in business development and/or innovation management. Experience with public-private partnerships is definitely a plus;
- You are able to bridge the gap between customer needs and technical. Experience and a network in the application domains of industry 4.0, logistics & mobility is a plus;
- You are able to establish credibility and rapport with senior executives, technical and non-technical projects teams and colleagues;
- You are a team player who is able to motivate people to jointly strive for a common goal;
- Relevant work experience in both academic and industrial research is a strong asset;
- Experience in attracting external research funding from the private and public sector in the domain of applied research on national as well as international level is desirable;
- Knowledge of technology transfer processes needed to valorise academic research results and available technology as well as experience in managing a broad project portfolio is an advantage;
- Experience with EU projects and the related administration is also an advantage, including the management of intellectual property;
- Given the challenging position in both national and international context, the candidate is expected to be fluent in English. Additional knowledge of Dutch is an asset.
- A permanent contract;
- A full time gross monthly salary depending on your academic qualifications and professional experience;
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment;
- Flexible working hours;
- 40 days of holiday and 1 week of collective colsing (one week between Christmas and New Year);
- Reimbursement of public transport for home-work travel;
- Bicycle allowance;
- Expected Start date: as soon as possible
Applications can be send by the button below.
Please contact Jeroen Smeulders for more information: +32 11 30 35 00.
The recruitment process is exclusively coordinated by Motmans & Partners.